Information about usThe Singapore Physics League (SPhL) event and its corresponding website, https://sgphysicsleague.org are run by the SPhL Organising Team, an independent group supported by the Institute of Physics Singapore (IPS).
- The following terms shall have the meanings ascribed below:
- “Website” refers to the page at the URL: https://sgphysicsleague.org;
- “Competition” refers to the Singapore Physics League (SPhL) event hosted on the aforementioned Website;
- “Competition Platform” or “Platform” refers to the computer systems and services providing the computer processes and environment for the Competition;
- “Intellectual Property Rights” or “IP” refers to all copyrights, trademarks, patents, trade secrets and all other intellectual property rights or proprietary rights;
- “Organising Team” refers to any or all listed individuals who are tasked with administering and managing the Competition;
- “Organising Partners” refers to any organisation or individual that the Organising Team works with or at the direction of (including members of the Organising Team itself), including but not limited to the Institute of Physics Singapore.
- “Participants” means all persons of the registered teams individually and collectively, that are participating in the Competition. “Participant” means each of the Participants;
- “Party” shall mean each Participant or the Organising Team, “Parties” means the Participants and the Organising Team collectively;
- “Rules” or “Competition Rules” mean the rules, regulations and decisions prescribed by the Organising Team for the Competition, including these terms and conditions set out herein and those set out at the following URL: https://sgphysicsleague.org/rules
- Reference to “Clauses” or “Clause” shall refer to the clauses or clause of these terms and conditions and shall include all sub-clauses of the respective clauses being referred to. These terms and conditions set out herein may be referred to as these or the “Terms and Conditions”.
- The following terms shall have the meanings ascribed below:
- By participating in the Competition, all Participants are deemed to have agreed to and shall always fully comply with the Rules prescribed by the Organising Team and as may be modified, added to or updated from time to time. All decisions made by the Organising Team in relation to the Competition, including the award or non-award of prizes and other benefits, shall be in the sole discretion of the Organising Team and shall be final and binding on all Participants.
To maintain the integrity and fairness of the Competition the following
must at all times be observed with by all Participants:
- Illegal, immoral or unethical activities or behaviour of any kind is strictly forbidden;
- No form of collusion, cheating, coercion, or intimidation shall be practised or condoned, regardless of intent;
- Any acts of sabotage, tampering, misuse, or attacks on any portion of the Competition Platform is expressly forbidden;
- Any acts related to the above and/or in violation of the Rules may, at the Organising Team’s discretion, result in penalties including but not limited to immediate disqualification.
- Should Participants have any doubt or concerns over whether any particular course of conduct or action intended by them in the Competition is appropriate or otherwise, Participants are encouraged to seek clarifications from the Organising Team.
- To maintain the integrity and fairness of the Competition the following must at all times be observed with by all Participants:
- Any document, material or information which the Organising Team discloses to the Participants that are marked as “Confidential” or with other similar indicia are to be kept confidential by the Participants and shall not be disclosed by the Participants to any third parties (including any other Participant) without the prior written consent of the Organising Team. The Participants shall not use the Confidential Information for purposes other than to participate in the Competition or respond to any requests of the Organising Team.
- Confidential Information shall not include information that are in the public domain through no fault or breach of the receiving Participants and shall not include information already rightfully known by the receiving Participants without obligations of confidentiality prior to its disclosure to the receiving Participants by the Organising Team.
Consent to Monitoring
- Participants understand and acknowledge that the Organising Team and its agents may in their discretion, monitor all activities and processes of the Participants on the Competition Platform or environment, and may intercept or otherwise terminate any activity or process, if the Organising Team is of the opinion that such action is necessary for the security and integrity of the Competition.
- The Organising Team is the owner or licensee of all intellectual property rights in the Website (including but not limited to designs, illustrations, or the services other intellectual property rights offered on or via the Website) and in the material published on it. Unless otherwise stated, all such rights are reserved.
Disclaimer of Liability
- By submitting its application or participating in the Competition, all Participants hereby agree to assume all risks and waive all rights to claim against the Organising Team or the Organising Partners. To the extent permitted by law, the Organising Partners shall have no liability or responsibility whatsoever under contract, tort or any other causes of action, for any direct or indirect losses or damages which the Participants may suffer or incur, including any loss of property, revenue, expectations of gain or profit, loss of or corruption to data, damage to computer systems, and/or loss of confidentiality of information, all of which the Organising Partners hereby expressly disclaim any liability or responsibility for. In particular, due to the nature of the Competition and its environment, all Participants shall have the sole responsibility to protect their own computer systems against harm, damage, loss, threats, attacks and malicious activity of any kind and nature, whether intentional or otherwise, and the Organising Partners shall have no liability or responsibility whatsoever to the Participants, arising from any such harm, damage, loss, threats, attacks and malicious activity however arising. The aforesaid disclaimers of liability shall apply regardless of whether the Organising Partners have knowledge of the possibility of such losses or damages so disclaimed or otherwise, and regardless that these losses and damages are foreseeable, or otherwise.
- The Organising Team has created and moderates a Discord server at
(referred to as “Discord Server”) for the use of Participants and
members of the Organising Team.
- By joining the Discord Server and viewing or creating any content (including but not limited to text messages, links, images or videos, referred to as “Content”), each Participant herebys agree to assume all risks and waive all rights to claim against the Organising Partners for any Content visible on the Discord Server. The above exemptions, liabilities and disclaimers shall apply to the maximum permitted by law.
- The Competition, Platform, services, materials and Content provided by the Organising Team or any Participant on the Discord Server are without any warranty and/or guarantee of any nature, whether express or implied, and are provided on an as “as-is” and “with all faults” basis. Any warranty of merchantability, fitness of purpose, uninterrupted use, warranty, non-infringement and absence of defects or faults are hereby expressly disclaimed. The above exemptions, liabilities and disclaimers shall apply to the maximum permitted by law.
- Participants are expected to bear their own costs and expenses incurred in connection with the Competition.
- The Organising Team reserves the right at its sole discretion at any time to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Competition without the need to assign any reason. The Organising Team further reserves the right at its sole discretion to penalise any Participant which the Organising Team deems to have been guilty of fraudulent, dishonest or other wrongful conduct without the need to assign any reason, up to and including total disqualification and/or bans from future Competitions. The Organising Team shall have no liability or responsibility to any Participant affected by the aforesaid actions.
- Each and every Participant agrees to defend, indemnify and keep indemnified the Organising Partners at all times from and against all liabilities, claims, actions, demands, losses, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable legal costs and expenses) suffered or incurred by all or any of the Organising Partners resulting from: (1) any breach of the Rules by the Participant; (2) any harm or damage caused by the Participant to any third party; and/or (3) any fraudulent or wilful representation or conduct of the Participant.
- Disputes: These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Singapore. The Parties irrevocably agree that the courts of Singapore shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle and adjudicate any dispute, claim, question or disagreement (“Disputes”) arising out of the Competition. The Parties irrevocably submit to the jurisdiction of courts of Republic of Singapore. Notwithstanding the aforesaid, the Organising Team may at any time refer any Dispute to be finally resolved by arbitration in Singapore in the English language by a sole arbitrator in accordance with the Arbitration Rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (“SIAC”) for the time being in force which rules are deemed to be incorporated by reference into this Clause. The seat of the arbitration shall be Singapore. The arbitrator shall be agreed upon between the Parties, or on failure to agree within thirty (30) days of a written proposal by one Party to the other Party, to be appointed by the SIAC acting in accordance with the SIAC Rules. This arbitration agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Singapore.
- Any provision of these Terms and Conditions Contract that expressly or by implication is intended to survive or to come into or continue in force on or after termination or expiry of the Competition including Clauses 4, 7, 8 and 9 shall so survive or come into force.
- In the event that any of these Terms and Conditions is determined to be illegal, invalid or unenforceable, in whole or in part, such provision or part of it shall, to the extent it is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, be deemed not to form part of the Terms and Conditions and the legality, validity and enforceability of the remainder of the Terms and Conditions shall not be affected.
- Any waiver shall be given expressly in writing by the authorised representative of the Party concerned. No omission, delay or failure enforce any right or remedy shall be deemed to be a waiver or variation of such right or remedy. No waiver of any right or breach shall be deemed to be a waiver of any other right or any subsequent breach.
- Save for the Organising Partners, a person who is not a party to the contract comprising these Terms and Conditions shall have no right under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act to enforce any provision of these Terms and Conditions. The Organising Partners may enforce and rely on Clauses 7, 8 and 9 to the same extent as if it were a Party. The Parties may by agreement rescind or vary these Terms and Conditions without the consent of any third party.
- Updates: The Organising Team reserves the right to amend or add to these Terms and Conditions and the Rules from time to time by publication of the same on the Website, which amended or additional Terms and Conditions and Rules shall continue to bind all Participations. Participants are advised to kept updated on such amendments and additions by visiting the Website and refer to the date of the most recent revision of the Terms and Conditions or Rules.